User:Victor Grousset - tuxayo
From Koha Wiki
Developer/support at BibLibre, France.
Since october 2017.
Good surprises found about Koha
I was very enthusiastic to learn about some things that I didn't hope to find on a software project which was started on the last millennium.
So why not share these positive findings to maybe cheer up someone randomly coming here? :)
- Koha is huge!!!
- «used by 15,000 libraries worldwide» https://catalyst.net.nz/news/horowhenua-libraries-celebrate-20-years-koha-website-update
- «it is likely that Koha is the most implemented ILS globally»
- «Probably ten thousand libraries in India using Koha»Marshall Breeding, KohaCon 19 (https://youtu.be/U1JBTrse0Qw?t=21549)
- «Thousands of more libraries in Latin American than represented on this»(https://youtu.be/U1JBTrse0Qw?t=21541)
- 2019-05: 5100 libraries using Koha https://librarytechnology.org/libraries/search.pl?ILS=Koha
- 2019-05: 3600 libraries (counting groups a one library) https://librarytechnology.org/libraries/search.pl?ILS=Koha&HQ=on
- use of a templating engine for almost all pages
- Object-Relationnal Mapping layer to decouple from a specific DBMS (many tables already refactored, PostgresSQL support planned)
- REST API with OpenAPI/Swagger
- assets versioning
- continuous integration on the maintained branches
- uses Elastic Search
- low level automated tests
- functional/high level automated tests
- Plugin system with hooks to allow to change behavior in a number of key functions of Koha
- switched to utf8mb4
- use SCSS
- work in progress to have dependency manager for JS deps
- work in progress to use React to revamp a complex view
- work in progress to use RabbitMQ for background jobs
- Production tips and procedures
- General tools tips (like Bugzilla)
- Misc ressources
Resources that might not be useful very often: