From Koha Wiki
IRC is like an open chat room where you can drop in to see what's going on, ask questions, or participate in regular community meetings.
You'll want to do a few things:
- Choose a client/program to use for IRC - there are many out there (irc.oftc.net:6667), or you can connect directly via the web interface here: https://webchat.oftc.net/?channels=koha
- Choose a nickname - here is a list of users and their nicknames: https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/IRC_Regulars (Don't let the term 'regular' scare you, anyone who is going to drop in to the channel should add their names here so you can find nearby users or just let us know who you are)
- Drop in at different times. The project is truly international, you will quickly find that there are 'busy' times for various parts of the world. If you want to talk to someone in New Zealand or America you will find they are around at vastly different hours :-)
- Don't be discouraged - every volunteer on the project, even those who work for support companies have work outside of IRC and may not be able to answer - if you don't get an answer in chat the lists are a good backup.
- Come back often - the more you are in channel the more questions you will be able to answer and the more people you will get to know
This action is used to join a channel. Depending on your IRC client, you may or may not need to use this action to join the #koha channel.
This action is used to quit a channel.
Optional: you can add a goodbye message to the quit command
/quit Night y'all!
Private message command
This command is used to start a new private conversation with another user. Depending on your IRC client, you may not need to use this action to start a private conversation (some IRC clients allow you to double click on the person's name or right-click and choose "Send message").
The action command is used to convey actions you would do in real life
will appear as
Karma is used to show appreciation and support to someone in the community.
You can also check your karma or someone else's with the @karma command. The bot huginn will answer with how many times your karma was increased (or decreased).
The later command is used to send messages to users who aren't on IRC right now. The next time this person connects to the channel, the bot huginn will send them a message.
@later tell nickname message
@later tell lesliemoore can you check bug 18569 for me?
The seen command is used to know when a person was last active on the channel. The bot huginn will answer you with the time and the last thing this person wrote on the channel
The weather command is used to get a local weather forecast. A location can be a city name or a zipcode/postal code.
@wunder Montreal, Canada
- IRC Regulars
- Dates of next IRC meetings
- Links to IRC meetings
- IRC Chatiquette
Example clients (please add any you recommend):
- Hexchat - https://hexchat.github.io/
- Colloquy - http://colloquy.info/
- Quassel - http://quassel-irc.org/
- Pidgin - https://pidgin.im/
- Wikipedia list/comparison - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_Relay_Chat_clients