Documentation Workshop KohaCon20
From Koha Wiki
A documentation workshop is planned for KohaCon20, Wellington, October 2020. (See the programme (Day 5 Workshops).)
This is a draft agenda.
Please add any ideas you have for the workshop.
Date and time: The workshop is scheduled for Friday 23 October 2020 from 11:00am-12:25 (NZDT) timeanddate.com
Facilitator: David Nind
Attendees (add you name if you are planning to attend):
- David Nind (I guess I have to be there!)
Goals for the workshop are:
- Learn how to make edits to the manual the easy way (using the GitLab web interface)
- All attendees get at least one item merged, or ready to merge
Agenda for the workshop
Possible areas include - will be decided depending on attendees:
- The easy way to edit: A hands-on step-by-step walk through of the process using just a browser.
- Working out what to work on: Identifying and selecting documentation tasks.
- It’s not just writing: Other ways to contribute to the documentation, such as adding a description in Bugzilla for the release notes.
- Working with a local repository: Setting up a local content development environment using Git.
- Brainstorming session: feedback and suggestions for improvements.
- Sharing expertise: work with others to review and improve sections of the manual that you have expertise in.
If you have got anything you would like covered please add!
I'm going to record (I'm new to recording, so it may not work out!).
I'm also going to test live streaming (it will depend on the how good the WiFi is - it may be a bust!):
- Watch on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2cOqF_4ed8
- Join the Jitsi meeting: https://meet.jit.si/KohaDocumentationTeam
Introductory session on getting started with contributing to the manual using GitLab:
- Creating a GitLab account (if you don't have one)
- The documentation workflow
- Basic introduction to reStructuredText
- Identifying a task to work on: from Taiga.io or the beginner task list
- Editing the manual and submitting your changes
- Working with images
Other ways to contribute to the documentation
- Release notes
Documentation tasks are recorded in several places:
- Primary place: Taiga.io
- Bugzilla: Documentation tasks
- Bugzilla: [ Tagged as requiring updates to the manual]
These are some suggested tasks for working on (to be updated).
- Beginner tasks:
- Fix capitalization in chapters Taiga Task 472
- Add missing descriptions for release notes in Bugzilla, check whether anything needs updating in the manual for the bug https://gitlab.com/koha-community/koha-release-notes/blob/master/release_notes_20_06_00.md
- Bug 22141 - Update the Lists portion of the manual
- Intermediate tasks
- Advanced tasks
Add you name and subject area, and work with others on improving a section of manual. Topics not covered by the manual are also potential areas to work on.
- Subject area - Names
A brainstorming session to provide feedback on the current manual and ideas for improvements, including current pain points:
Not at KohaCon, but want to contribute in some way?
A record of the things achieved during the workshop:
- New contributors to the manual:
- Tasks completed: