From Koha Wiki
Terminology to use
This page gathers the different terms to use in Koha.
Currently there are different terms to designate the same concept, both in the code and user interface. The user interface is usually a better guide, as the code has a wider variety of names that are harder to change.
If you need to create a new module, script, etc., please refer to this page to know which term you should use.
- Authority record
- Bibliographic record (not biblio)
- Budgets (not budget period)
- Check-in (not return)
- Use 'check-in' as a noun, 'check in' as a verb.
- Check out (not issue, unless you are talking about a serial issue)
- Use 'checkout' as a noun, 'check out' as a verb.
- Fund (not budget)
- Gender (not sex)
- Hold (not reserve or request)
- Item (not document)
- Library (not branch)
- Lists (not shelves/virtual shelves)
- FIXME : what about patrons lists ?
- Notice (not letter, slip when meant to be printed on receipt printers)
- Patron (not member or borrower)
- Staff client (not Intranet)
- Vendor (not bookseller or supplier)
Also, make sure to use US English (Simplified) spelling, rather than English (Traditional):
- Authorized values (not authorised values)
- Use "login" as a noun, "log in" as a verb.
- Use "log out" as a verb, not "logout."
- Use "ZIP" not "zip" (it is an acronym)