Foundation Forming IRC Meeting, 29 October 2009

From Koha Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Koha > Community > Participation > IRC Meetings



  1. koha IRC channel (IRC server


Thursday, 29 October 2009 at 19:00 UTC+0 .

Conversions to your local time:


  • Conclusion from the final foundation forming vote.
  • What do we do next?
    • Legal issues and procedures.
    • Discussion of guarantees.
    • Assignment of trademarks and domains.
      • are we willing to pay expenses?
      • are we willing to buy those not donated?
        • if so, how much?
      • is perpetual licensing OK instead of assignment?
  • Scope of activities.
  • Control procedures (governance).
    • Relation of holding organisation to Koha community.
  • Long term considerations.
  • Agree time of next foundation meeting.


  • MJ Ray (slef), a member of
  • chris cormack, translation manager, catalyst it (chris)
  • Katrin Fischer, BSZ Germany (cait_laptop)
  • Jane Wagner, PTFS (jwagner)
  • brendan gallagher - %%ByWater%% Solutions (brendan)
  • Joann Ransom, Horowhenua Library Trust, NZ (jransom)
  • Ian Walls, NYU Health Sciences Libraries (sekjal)
  • russel garlick, catalyst IT (russel)
  • Nicolas Morin, %%BibLibre%% (nicomo)
  • Nate Curulla %%ByWater%% Solutions (Nate)
  • Piotr Wejman, CSNE LIbrary, Poland (Ropuch)
  • Chris Nighswonger, FBC (chris_n)
  • Irma Birchall, Calyx, Sydney (%%IrmaCalyx%%)
  • Greg Lawson Rolling Hills Consolidated Libary (rhcl)
  • Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City (thd)
  • Galen Charlton, ESI, 3.2 RM (gmcharlt)
  • Owen Leonard, Nelsonville Public Library (owen)
  • Henri-Damien LAURENT, %%BibLibre%%, Montpellier (hdl_laptop)
  • David Schuster - Plano ISD, TX USA (schuster)
  • Liz Rea, tech support for the NExpress project at the Northeast Kansas Library System (wizzyrea)


  • slef chaired the meeting.

Conclusion from the final foundation forming vote

Final Foundation Vote.

  • slef reported the preference rankings were as follows from applying VoteEngine to the results.
    • Q1 Short term Koha project affiliation: HLT > SPI > SFC > IFLA > NONE.
    • Q2 Long term Koha project affiliation: KOHA > LIB > HLT > SPI > SFC > IFLA > NO
    • "The one measure which didn't result in HLT (borda) results in an unresolved tie."
    • After the meeting he discovered, "at least two people voted twice... I need to clean this up and rerun the analyses, but it can't see it changing the results".
  • thd identified an issue suggested for the long term foundation. Many people especially outside the US wanted to affiliate with IFLA in addition to the other options.

What do we do next?

Legal issues and procedures

  • jransom requested authorisation from the Koha community to form a committee for Koha.
  • Resolution: "Those present resolve to authorise HLT to enter into negotiations about finding ways to secure koha community assets."
    • Resolution passed.
  • HLT charter.
  • brendan wondered whether the Ohio based Koha Software Foundation registration is merely registration of an intent to file without legal completion. He offered to investigate. Others suggested contacting KSF to discover what answer they would give directly.

Discussion of guarantees

  • A letter and memorandum of understanding with an asset lock for resources given to HLT was discussed.
    • jransom stated in the event of any problem with HLT, "we should have confirmed in writing, that the koha community assets be transferred to another koha community org."

Assignment of trademarks and domains

  • HLT will report the state of any ongoing negotiations over securing community assets in a month. HLT will take a decision about continuing any ongoing negotiations.
  • HLT will have advice during negotiations from a negotiation advisory committee consisting of Bob Birchall, Chris Cormack, and Galen Charlton.
    • The committee was approved by a vote of those present.

are we willing to pay expenses?

  • Issue tabled for future.

are we willing to buy those not donated?

  • Issue tabled for future.

if so how much?=

  • Issue tabled for future.

is perpetual licensing OK instead of assignment?=

  • Issue tabled for future.

Scope of activities

  • Except for consideration already given to trademarks and domains, issue tabled for future.

Control procedures (governance)

  • Issue tabled for future.
  • Some suggested that aspects of community governance are more appropriate question when considering a long term foundation.
  • The possibility of proxies for those who cannot attend a meeting was raised.

Relation of holding organisation to Koha community

  • Except for the consideration already given to basic community authorisation of HLT and guarantees, issue tabled for future.

Long term considerations

  • Issue tabled for future.

Agree time of next foundation meeting

  • Next Koha Foundation Forming IRC Meeting, 3 December 2009.
  • Time is tentatively set for 19.00 UTC +0. Some for whom the time is especially inconvenient such as people in India will be asked for comment about holding the next meeting at a different time.


Log available at .

Personal tools